Friday, December 28, 2007

A First Person Account from Pakistan After Bhutto Assassinated



My mom, brothers and sister in law and I were shopping when I received a text from my father asking us to come to the hotel because he feared for our safety since Benazir Bhutto had been shot. I ran inside the store to tell my mother this, and as we were running out of building filled with small shops, all I saw was mass amounts of dust in the air and people running all over the place panicked. All I heard was people yelling and telling us not to go outside because people might be shooting in the streets and told us to just keep going upstairs. We all started running up the stairs and stopped on the second floor and I noticed that my mother was panicking and crying. I realized that my legs and hands were shaking and I felt a sense of helplessness that I can't even explain to you at this moment. I only kept thinking of the fires I had seen being set to markets in the past when there have been riots in the city and my only thought was that if this happened to this building, how were we going to escape.
...
After another minute on the road and realizing that the main road to the hotel is the one where Benazir Bhutto was first attacked in October...and there will be chaos there as well...we decided that it was in our best interest to just be inside.
I am here right now, with my brothers, sister in law and mother. My father is with my grandmother and great aunt at their house. We are told that it is not safe to be at the hotel at this time since places with foreigners get targeted as well.
We have no idea how long we will be here...there is a strike in the city for three days, during which anything can happen...
...
My legs and arms have stopped shaking and my heart is still beating. My chest feels tight.
I'll cry later.
We are safe, for now.

More.

No comments:


Sports News: CBSSports.com